Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Excel - Insert a String at The Beginning of a column of cells

In my situation I had a column of cells with a relative url. I wanted to convert that to a direct url. So I needed to add a string similar to "http://www.sitename.com/media/images/products/leds/" to the beginning of whatever data was in that column. So I took the following steps:


  1. Inserted a new column.
  2. In the first data cell of the new column (F2) I entered
    1. ="http://www.sitename.com/media/images/products/leds/"&E2
  3. I verified that this produced in the cell the complete direct url that I was looking for.
  4. I click dragged to copy that formula to the cells below for the entire column of existing data
  5. I spot checked that this produced direct urls all the way down
  6. I inserted a new column to the left of F
  7. I copied the contents of F
  8. I clicked Paste Special and selected Values to the new empty G
  9. Then I deleted E & F columns and verified the new E was how I wanted it
  10. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Design & Marketing - Click and get an instant quote on your project